Random Thoughts

There is a an older gentleman I see on the treadmill quite often. We smile and exchange pleasantries. As my Japanese is poor I often act a bit stand offish. He commented, in Japanese, that I looked much better now. I thanked him. He continued in near perfect English. I have a bad habit of stereotyping Japanese - assuming they can't speak English.
It turns out he is retired doctor who was orphaned after WWII. The Americans were quite generous and sent him to the States on a full scholarship. He spoke very kindly about America. We talked about dieting and his belief in a bland, low calorie diet and lots of walking is the best way to lose weight. He suggested, a two hour walk 5 days a week. He figures the rise in obesity is a result of technology, parking lots and apathy. What a gent.

No comments:

Post a Comment